Working on the Scare


In a story I've been working on for awhile, demons play major characters--both heroes and villains.  And I flatter myself that any assumptions you made after reading that last sentence would be blown out of the water if you read the manuscript, but you can't because it's not finished.  So there.
Yesterday I was working on a scene where a full-fledged lieutenant of hell is summoned.  The thing was, I had no idea what the demon should look like.  I did a Google Image search on demons to try and get inspiration, and found an astonishing amount of erotic artwork.  While lust is one of the seven deadly sins, it wasn't the sin I was looking to emphasize.  There was also a lot of anime characters to peruse but that's not quite what I was looking for, either.  I refined my search to medieval demons, which came up with a lot of sketches, paintings and stone lithographs.  Lots of horns.  Lots of wings.  Lots of leering masculine faces.  And lots of random animal body parts.
None of those fit my itch, so to speak, but I felt I was getting closer.  I decided the animal thing seemed pretty classic--symbolic, no doubt, of the beast-like drives and passions which can tempt us off the path of righteousness...or...whatever.  So I figured OK, animal part it is.  But then which animal?
Ultimately I turned to a random page of the manuscript, flurried around my cursor with my eyes closed, and then opened my eyes to look at the letter it landed on: T.  So that's an animal that starts with the letter T?  Turtle.  Ok, my demon will be...part...turtle?  The first thing that came to mind was the enormous tortoise in "Never Ending Story," which was not in the least bit frightening despite its glum attitude and slimy, mossy back.  Ultimately I think I did find a way to use a turtle shell as inspiration to come up with something I've certainly never seen or heard of before. 

Scary is hard!  Really hard!  How do you do scary?


1 comment:

  1. I love that idea!
    And can't wait to see that book in print.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.