For Isla Vista


I am a fiction writer, and when I read news like this, I wish, I wish, I wish it was fiction. I wish these kinds of horrific deeds were only in movies and books, to astonish audiences and stir emotion. But they aren’t: mindless acts of terror such as this happen in real life. And they happen in America, possibly the most privileged country in the world, a country that wants everyone to think we have it all figured out.
Clearly, we don’t have it all figured out.
I have considered the argument that events such as these should not be fixated upon by the media, that the gunmen receive too much “fame,” and the news coverage unintentionally inspires other acts of violence. There may be something to this—but on the other hand, if we’re to find an effective way to preventing such horrors in the future, we must understand the perpetrators. Not just authorities and lawmakers, all of us: if we truly live in a democracy, then we are all the lawmakers. And we understand people by telling their story.
I will not spout my personal opinions on the political issues at hand here, I will only state with the deepest possible human conviction what I believe we all can and should agree on: something must change. Clearly, what we are doing now – arguing and delaying – does nothing but give time for seeds of madness to take root and grow, for arsenals to be stockpiled and massacres to be planned in detail. Friday’s victims could have been me, they could have been you; they could have been your friends; they could have been your parent, your sibling, or your child. Every day we are not pushing for change, we line ourselves up as possible targets, and perhaps worse we passively take on part of the blame.


I debated with myself before posting this, as it does not seem relevant to my blog. But the idea of saying nothing, of going on my merry way even in the blogosphere, and pretending that everything is OK, literally sickens me. This is everyone’s business. It should be among our top business. This year in the state of Ohio, there will be elections for a state governor and sixteen seats in the U.S. House of Representatives—those running for office had better be paying attention, because I damn well know I am.

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.