Lemon Meringue Parfait

      It was been waaaaay too long since I've posted a recipe on this blog.  That is partially - I kid you not - because I don't have a good way to take food photos right now.  And I like to post pictures to show you what I've made.  Because I'm vain.  But it's summer, and it's hot, and I'm hungry, dang it!  So here's my latest dessert: Lemon Meringue Parfait!
      I created this sweet concoction for a family member who is very fond of lemon meringue pie, when I was feeling too lazy to make a whole pie.  The only part that you actually bake is the meringue sheet, the rest is just assembly.  And since it's a frozen dessert you can make it all ahead of time!

So instead of this, you have something sweet and frozen in a personal-size portion!

Lemon Meringue Parfait
serves 4 to 6, depending on portion size

Ingredients:
1 egg white
pinch salt
1/4 Cup sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 pint lemon sorbet
16 graham crackers (approximately)
8 oz honey sweetened yogurt (I like Noosa brand, myself)
Fresh berries for topping (optional)

Directions:
 - Select your parfait glasses (I recommend something tall and clear to show off the pretty layers) and place them in the freezer to chill while you prep.  Preheat your oven to 200º F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the egg white with the pinch of salt until frothy.  Add in the sugar and vanilla, and beat until stiff peaks form.
Stiff peaks means STIFF!

 - Use a rubber spatula to spread your meringue onto the baking sheet in a disk about 1/3 inch thick (shape of disk really doesn't matter).  Bake 90 minutes, until meringue is crisp and the edges have taken on no more than the faintest hint of brown.  Turn off the oven, and allow meringue to cool over night.*

 - Remove sorbet from the freezer and allow to soften a couple minutes while you finish your prep.  Crumble all your graham crackers into a bowl, until about the consistency of fine gravel.  In a second bowl, crumble the meringue to a similar consistency.  Remove the parfait glasses from the freezer.  Layer the ingredients as follows in each glass, distributing equally as you go:

Meringue crumble
Lemon sorbet
Graham cracker crumble
Meringue crumble
Lemon sorbet
Graham cracker crumble

 - Return to freezer until ready to serve.  Just before serving, top each with a dollop of yogurt, and garnish with berries and/or an extra dusting of fine graham cracker crumbs.
It will sorta-kinda look like this, although I think these are mini parfaits made with whipped cream and pudding.
TIP: Rather than scooping the sorbet in round scoops, shave it out kind of flat with a regular spoon, and lightly spread each layer to make it even.  It's prettier that way!

      Obviously you can tweak this recipe however you like.  If you like a creamier treat, I recommend sneaking a layer of yogurt between the middle meringue and graham cracker crumbles.  You could also substitute gingersnaps or vanilla wafers for the crackers, or even lemon shortbread for a little extra zing.  You could always do whipped cream or ice cream instead of the yogurt--I go for the yogurt because I like the tang.  Whatever you do, just make sure you enjoy with a long spoon and a smile!



*This step is optional, but meringue must be fully cool to continue.

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.