Channeling my inner 13-year-old Boy

      ...aaaaand I'm back!  No, for reals.  I'm really back this time.

      The move happened, and then it happened again as I went from temporary crash-pad to new studio apartment.  Then the spouse followed, flying the cat from Ohio to Washington, with a layover in Midway. Then where was the hustle and bustle of visits and furnishings and may I just say how awesome I am at assembling Ikea furniture?  But now it's all over, and I can breathe again, and be creative again.  Hurray!

The fuzzy heart flew under the seat in a carrier.  She was not pleased.

      Here's the updates in a nutshell:

Bad News #1 - the Shadows On the Sound podcast is no more.  :-(  It was tremendously fun, but proved too time-consuming and expensive for two struggling writers to maintain.  Camela and I may switch to the occasional vlog, but that's still to be determined.

Bad News #2 - the therapy firm where I work was hit by a computer virus called - and I am not making this up - the "CryptoLocker virus."  Which begs the question, who the heck names these things?  It sounds like something a 7th grade boy might come up with in his first attempt at writing a sci-fi story.

Billy's hands were so sweaty he could barely hold his LaserBlaster 5000. He followed his team through the enemy ship, trying to ignore the stickiness of alien blood and guts under his boots. When they finally reached the CryptoLocker on deck 72, he overcame the HyperGravity bolts on the door by setting a SuperNova SpaceBomb on the heavy metal doors. Shards of meteor titanium flew everywhere. When the spacedust finally settled, he heard Commander Ramsgroin swear in his native Plutonian. "They've used Ionian Sub-ice to cryogenically freeze the TimeSpace Ambassador at -42 degrees Kalvin! It'll take us two hours to safely thaw them! We'll have to hold the bastards off! At least half of us are going to die, men, but we'll take as many of them with us to hell as possible!"

Good News #1 - Tomorrow is National Strawberry Shortcake Day.  Dori Greenspan has the best shortcake recipe I've ever tasted, but try the biscuit from this recipe for an extra layer of flavor.  And for the love of Julia, go get your strawberries from the local farmer's market!

Good News #2 - Camela and I will be hosting my "Brainy Anime Babes Who Know More Science Than You" at Geek Girl Con this year!  If you are a geeky girl - or think geeky girls are awesome - or if you're just awesome - or if you're just a geek - then mark your calendar and come join us!  Major kudos to Camela who took the time and effort to get our submissions in and organize all of this. We can hardly wait to indulge in a full weekend of geeking out with the best in the Pacific Northwest!
Not this year's poster, but I love it soooo much!

      And while it pains me to end things on a sad note...

Bad News #3 (the worst) - There are horrible people in the world.  They are a small, small percentage of the human race, and they are found in EVERY nation, race, creed, or political party.  Unfortunately, they have the ability to create destruction in huge proportion to their numbers. But never allow that to skew your perspective: these people who do heinous acts are the tiniest percentage of our species. If we do good in huge proportion to our numbers, they can never, ever win.
There is much more I could say about the tragedy in Orlando, but words cannot do it justice.  I am trying to find better ways of responding with my actions.  I hope you will, too.

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.