New Year, New Recipes, New Yum!

      Since 2014 was The Year of the Pie, it only makes sense that I would christen 2015 with some equally scrumptious title. I gave it some serious thought, and listened to several suggestions (my husband suggested "The Year of the Something-Deep-Fried" in the hopes that I would break down and purchase a fryer--it didn't happen). I wanted something that would push me farther without forcing me to sacrifice my painfully scarce time. I also wanted something that wouldn't add too many superfluous calories to my days, since guilt is a poor spice indeed. Finally, I hit upon what I believe to be the perfect solution. Therefore, it is with great pride, pomp, and salivation that I announce that to the friends and followers of Z.D, 2015 shall be known henceforth as:

The Year of the Breakfast*

      This will not make too large of a dent in my time, nor add a lot of calories to my diet because I eat breakfast every day. And it will push me because I am ALWAYS looking for new breakfast recipes. Keep in mind, what I consider "breakfast" is what many people would consider "a weekend breakfast," or even "brunch." That's because breakfast is not only the most important meal of the day, it's the most important meal to get right. What you eat first thing in the morning literally breaks your fast from overnight, and sets the tone for your metabolism and blood sugar balance for the rest of the day. Therefore, a "Pop-Tart" is not going to cut it--not unless you want to be hungry and grouchy an hour later. A poorly executed breakfast (or worse: none at all) can cause people to experience mood swings as their blood sugar plunges up and down, not unlike one of those weird bobbing bird toys, only far less amusing to witness. 
      Like every other meal in a healthy diet, breakfast needs to be balanced, including protein and plenty of fruits and vegetables. Also - because "healthy" covers not just the spleen, but the spirit as well - it should be tasty. Better than tasty, it should be delicious! Breakfast should be something pleasant to look forward to every morning, setting the right mood for the day. Whether you need to pull something together in fifteen minutes (totally do-able) or you have a whole lazy morning to build a brilliant spread, it's a must-have. And if your New Year's Resolution, like so many others, is to eat more healthy, then stick with me, folks, because I've got some recipes for you!
      Since The Year of the Pie was not declared until spring of last year, I intend to throw in a few more pie recipes over the next few months. That means there will be some Pie/Brunch overlap, but never fear: pie makes a wonderful breakfast food. And let us not forget that marvelous older sibling of breakfast known as the brunch, which has the rather indulgent option of including cocktails. No, I do not drink a cocktail at every brunch. I typically save such indulgence for holidays. But New Year's Day (or New Year's Weekend) is a great day to have brunch, and should your guests be seeking some "hair of the dog," you may want to offer a little something-something. Mimosas are classic, and Bloody Mary's have that added edge of veg, but here's my brother's twist on a standard which I find different, refreshing, and num!

A Bigger Texan

Ingredients:
4-6 basil leaves
1.5 oz bourbon
2 oz pink grapefruit juice (preferably fresh squeezed)
1 oz cinnamon simple syrup**
tonic water
ice

Directions:
 - "Spank" the basil leaves (that means slap them hard between your palms once or twice to loosen the fragrant oils), then add to a rocks glass (between 6 and 8oz capacity) with the bourbon, juice, & syrup. Give a few vigorous stirs to mix.

 - Add a handful of ice cubes and stir a few more times. Add tonic to fill the glass, and enjoy. You may garnish with a sprig of fresh basil if you like. 

     Our next breakfast recipe will be a little more...*ahem*...responsible. But for now let's start The Year of the Breakfast on a merry note, and have a happy one!



*We can argue over the appropriateness of "THE Breakfast" vs. simply "Breakfast" at a later date--for now, let's get cookin'!

**In a small pot with a lid, break apart a 3-4 inch cinnamon stick (I just put it in the bottom and whack it once with a meat mallet). Add 3/4 Cup water and 1/2 Cup sugar, place over medium-low heat and stir occasionally until the sugar is dissolved. Raise the heat and bring just to boiling, then reduce heat to a simmer for about 20 minutes, until the syrup is thickened. Cover, remove from the heat, and allow to steep for 1 to 2 hours. Strain into a sealable jar and stick it in your fridge and it will last for months. And before you decide this is too much trouble, allow me to point out that this also goes great in coffee, hot chocolate, and on pancakes or waffles.

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.