"The Loveliest Person in the World...!"

      These days, delight has become a precious commodity.  The struggle between monotony & health risks can be exhausting.  When my instincts debate my logic, I prefer the debate to be internal, & I prefer the stakes to be no higher than whether or not to eat second brownie or maybe staying up past my bedtime.*  The constant slog of self-denial in the name of public health has to be the most boring way to take a stand every...but it is taking a stand!  A stand...


      For me, one of the best coping strategies has been actively seeking & embracing delight.  I got the idea from an episode of This American Life at the beginning of the year & I swear it has been a sanity saver.  More than that, it has opened me to little experiences I would normally say I don't have time for, including the best, most wonderful story time I have had since elementary school: Taika Waititi doing a celebrity reading of James & the Giant Peach.
      Full confession: I've never actually read the book.  I saw a children's play based on the book when I was a little kid & I remember thinking it was great.  But I only had a passing acquaintance with Roald Dahl's children's books through movies, I rather preferred his Unexpected Tales.  But Taika Waititi is, in himself, charming.  I don't care if he's playing a vampire, a pile of rocks, or a Hilter as an imaginary friend, the man is just lovely.  So when I saw that he had rounded up some celebrities to read James & the Giant Peach as a fundraiser, I was in! 
So far my favorite is the second episode, which does have Meryl Streep & Benedict Cumberbatch reading as Aunt Sponge & Aunt Spiker!
      The story is being read in six parts, the two final videos being released today.  It's a long weekend here in the U.S.  Some people will be flouting the social distancing restraints of the last couple months & going out to enjoy the spring.  Others (such as myself) will be staying in & trying to get as much fun & relaxation out of a restricted holiday as possible.**  And some people will be working, possibly for the first time in weeks.  Whatever your Memorial Day holiday is looking like, treat yourself to something whimsical.  Listen as Taika & friends bring this piece of children's fiction to life.  Your heart will glow, & you, too, may feel compelled to donate to Partners in Health.
      Stay safe, everyone!





*Do I live dangerously or what!

**We're setting up a tent in the living room, right in front of the fireplace.  We intend to roast marshmallows & "camp" all weekend long!

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.