Pierogi

     So what do pierogi have to do with a ghost story?  One of the themes of my novel is culture, & how it evolves through immigration, often with pieces being lost.  When we lose the stories & memories of our families, it's a kind of little death. Tiny traces get left behind, disconnected--a grungy heirloom here, a recipe there--and they can linger like family ghosts.
      Of course, my novel also includes REAL ghosts...more on that in future posts.  But for now: Polish comfort food!
      I have no Polish ancestry of which I am aware* but as far as I'm concerned, dumplings belong to everyone.  I don't care if it's gyoza or piroshki, samosa or pasties, give me a savory filling wrapped in some kind of dough & I am a fan.  So I was happy to try making pierogi for the first time!

Emphasis on the "try."  Although they look pretty good, eh?

     They turned out Ok, but I have a feeling I have a long way to go.  The dough was the toughest I've ever worked with, so it came out thick & a little dense--although thankfully not as tough as I feared.  I filled them with a mixture of caramelized onion, braised cabbage, & potato, which turned out tasty.  But next time I will definitely add bacon (the only reason I didn't this time was because we served them alongside homemade corned beef).  I had just enough filling for all my dough & they boiled up without leaking. The brown butter fry at the end was delicious.  I have about a dozen left in my freezer & I am looking forward to eat them later!
      Here's the recipe I used:

Pierogi

Ingredients: 
1 large egg
5 oz whole milk
3 Tablespoons sour cream (full fat)
1 teaspoon kosher salt

...oh my gods, I just figured out how I messed up the dough.  *face palm*  Ok, actually I was halving a larger recipe, which called for 4 cups of flour.  I should have only put in 2.  I think I put in 3.5 cups of ap flour total.
Hey, you don't know what you don't know!  I didn't know that when I thought to myself: "Wow, this looks really try & floury" I was totally, 100% right!
      LOL!  Ok then!  Well, the good news is, you can totally over-do it on the flour & these will still come out pretty decent!  But I'm going to stop there rather than continue sharing my recipe since I didn't actually follow it.  When I take my second shot at these, I'll share that instead.
      In the meantime, I also made my first batch of cookies in search of the perfect cookie for my novel, I went with Salty Buckwheat Chocolate Chunk Cookies from Bon Appetit.  These were darn good cookies, I am happily eating my way through them (I also halved this recipe & they turned out fine).  But they aren't everything I need for the cookies in my story, so oh darn!  I have to keep experimenting with cookies!
     In the meantime: Conchas for Easter!



*No, I'm not interested in having my DNA tested.

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.