Brace Yourself: Taco Tuesday is Going National

      I just looked at my calendar, and October 4th is National Taco Day.
      This year, it falls on a Tuesday.
      It is a federally sanctioned Taco Tuesday.  Life just got so, so awesome.

When I announced National Taco (Tues)Day to my Mom, she wanted to know which came first: "Taco Tuesday," or "The Lego Movie."  I couldn't tell her, and I'm too lazy to look it up.
      When I was growing up, tacos were made with ground beef cooked with a spice packet that probably contained more salt than the Atlantic Ocean.  It was then spooned into hard, yellow taco shells, sprinkled with shredded orange cheese, and popped in the oven until said cheese melted.  We ate this with jarred salsa and shredded ice burg lettuce.  And I absolutely loved it.*
      These days I eat two kinds of tacos: awesome gourmet tacos I get off the happy hour menus of restaurants I otherwise can't afford, and my own super-cheat tacos that probably have nothing to do with Mexico.  I'll lay out the recipe here (don't judge me).  Sorry there are no photos to go with, but my schedule doesn't allow for much whim-of-the-moment cooking these days, much less amateur food photography:

Z.D.'s I-Want-to-Make-Something-Like-a-Taco Recipe
serves 4

Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons Canola oil
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
1 bell pepper (you choose your color), finely chopped
1 to 2 chipotle chiles in adopo sauce, minced (for spicy tacos)
2 tsp dried oregano
kosher salt to taste
1/2 to 1 full Cup leftover steamed white rice (optional)**
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 Cup water
1 lime, cut into quarters

Serve with:
fresh flour tortillas
fresh diced tomato
fresh sliced avocado
baby arugula and/or shredded cabbage
minced cilantro

Directions:
 - In a large non-stick pan, warm the oil over medium heat.  Add the onion and sauté until translucent. Increase the heat to medium-high and add the bell pepper, sauté just until the edges start to brown.

- Stir in the chipotle chiles, oregano, and salt.  Add in the rice and stir until fully incorporated and heated through, about 1 minute.  Stir in the beans and the water, bring to a boil.

 - Reduce to a low simmer and cook, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until flavors are melded and water has entirely evaporated.  Squeeze one quarter lime over mixture and stir.  Taste, adjust lime and other seasonings as desired.

 - Serve with gently warmed tortillas, remaining lime, and toppings
Something random.  You're welcome.
      If you're not down with spicy, you can substitute 2-4 tsp of ground cumin for the chipotle chiles.  If you want MORE spice, double (or even triple) the chipotle.  And of course you can serve with whatever toppings you want: salsa, guacamole, sour cream, cheese, diced green onion, toasted pepitas, hot sauce....  Not all of those are authentically Mexican, but then again, little about this recipe is authentic.  And I would be very, VERY surprised if Mexico had an National Taco Day.
      Or maybe I wouldn't.  A lot of awesome things come out of Mexico, and Latin America in general.
      If you're going to go out for tacos next Tuesday, I want to know where.  And if you're making your own, I want the recipe.  Gracias.




*Except for the salsa.  Even as a kid, I didn't care for jarred salsa.  If I eat it now, it has to be fresh, and preferably homemade.

**This is something I add to stretch the recipe, and to use up leftover rice when I'm all burnt out on fried rice.  If you omit the rice, halve the spices to start, then adjust the seasoning as you go.

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.