Breakfast the 14: Double Dairy Berry Cake

      Before I get to the Munch (because it's a weekend, so you know there will be food in this blog post), let me give a few quick geeky-awesome-shout-outs. Firstly: Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream re-opened yesterday. We waited in line for over half an hour before the door opened, and I got to speak with Jeni in person. I made a total idiot out of myself. But she autographed a T-shirt for me.

I should have had her add the date. Oh, well.
      Secondly: new podcast up today, and this is my favorite one so far. Although we've got one on video games coming up that should also be a kick in the pants. Look for "Shadows on the Sound" on iTunes, or just check out the Podcast page of my blog (it's on your left).
      And thirdly: if you're a Game of Thrones fan and haven't seen this spoof-Disney salute to the TV show, then frankly your life is incomplete. I mean really.

      And now, on to the grub! 
Breakfast done right! Serve with a nice herb omelette, some sliced melon, and a good espresso, and there is no way you can get up from the table in a bad mood!
      Berry season is coming up, and hilariously enough I still have some frozen berries squirreled away from last summer. That's because I buy huge amounts when they're at their peak (and cheapest at the farmer's market), and then freeze them for making goodies in the off-season. I'm very conscientious about making them last, so now is the time for me to use up the remainder of those luscious fruits and make room for the new batch!
      Their culinary destiny turned about to be this moist, tender breakfast cake. Now I don't call this a coffee cake because it doesn't have any streusel, which for some reason is a fixture in my mind when it comes to that particular pastry. But don't let yourself be fooled, this cake goes very well with coffee. Or tea. Or drinking chocolate, for that matter.
      Since it includes both yogurt and ricotta, the texture is moist and dense and has a hint of tang, although you'd never confuse it with a cheesecake. For a little extra zip, add a touch of lemon zest--it brings out the dairy and fruit. The finished cake keeps at room temperature for the better part of a week as long as it's covered. Not too sweet, easy to make, and good with both fresh and frozen berries, this confection is an easy win. So enjoy!


Z.D.'s Double Dairy Berry Breakfast Cake

Ingredients:
1 & 1/2 Cup flour
1 Cup sugar (vanilla sugar is preferable)
1 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest (optional)
3/4 C ricotta cheese (not low-fat)
3/4 C Greek yogurt (again, not low-fat)
1 tsp vanilla extract
dash almond extract
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 C (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 & 1/2 Cup mixed berries, fresh or frozen, divided

Directions: 
 - Grease the bottom and sides of a 9" cake pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper, and grease that also (I like to use clarified butter for greasing).
Yes, you really do have to grease the parchment.

 - In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients, including the lemon zest (if using).
If you use lemon zest, make sure you grate the zest directly into the dry ingredients, so no micro-droplets of flavorful citrus oil are wasted!

 - In a medium bowl, beat together the cheese, yogurt, extracts, and eggs. Once combined, beat in the butter until thoroughly mixed.
If your eggs are too cold, or your butter too hot, you can actually cook the egg by adding in the hot butter too quickly. So let the butter cool a couple minutes, then drizzle it in while whisking, just to be on the safe side.

 - Fold the wet ingredients into the dry until almost combined, then fold in 1 & 1/4 Cup of the berries. Scrape into your prepared cake pan and smooth the top.
This is a thick batter, but the cake won't be overly dense, I promise.

 - Scatter the 1/4 Cup fresh berries on top, then bake for 55 - 65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
I used all red berried inside the cake (raspberries and chopt strawberries) and I used only blueberries for the top, for a pretty color contrast.

 - Cool completely on a baking rack, then lightly loosen the sides with a thin knife and carefully unmold.
If you use a dark, nonstick pan (which works best), be prepared for the edges of the cake to bake a little faster. So watch this carefully towards the end of the baking time, and test with a toothpick in the middle, and take it out the moment you think it's done--don't let it over-bake!

      I actually left this cake in the pan and covered with plastic wrap for storage. Every day for four days, my husband and I took a slice each as part of our breakfast, and the pan/wrap combo kept the cake perfectly. If you decided to wanted to make this cake a bit sweeter and serve it with afternoon tea, I would try plating it and then drizzling each serving with just a touch of honey.
      This next week sees back in the Pacific Northwest hanging out with family, but I will update the blog. I'll see if I can sneak in some family recipes...or at least photos of what we're eating, to make you jealous!

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.