The Toast of Fiction

      I was poking around online for some halibut recipes, and came across this awesomeness at Bon Appetit magazine's website: an article providing alcoholic beverage pairings with characters from Game of Thrones!
      Immediately intrigued, I started reading, and just kept saying yes, yes, YES! They really nailed the characters, I agreed wholeheartedly with just about every choice (except for The Hound--I'm sorry, but if there was ever a fictional character who epitomizes whiskey served neat, it's Sandor Cleagne). And it got me thinking about some of my favorite characters, and favorite books, and what beverages I would pair them with.
      My brother's favorite book is Joseph Heller's "Catch 22." If you've never read it, you should--it's a classic for a reason, but unlike many of the stiffer tomes they try to force down your throat in high school, this one will have you erupting into laughter! When I asked my brother for a pairing, he decided on Amaro, an Italian digestif that can range from floral-sweet to grassy-bitter--sort of like Heller's cast of characters. If "Catch 22" makes you conclude that the only way to survive is to be a little bit insane, a small glass of this intense fortified wine is a good way to start!




   Now my husband is an avid fan of Patrick O'Brian's "Master and Commander" series. We like to read it aloud to one another on road trips, and especially if we're lucky enough to be lounging on a beach. When I asked him about an appropriate beverage to accompany the books, he had no hesitation before he replied, "Port." And I thought, Duh, of course! Goodness knows Jack Aubrey drinks enough of the stuff, but aside from that, port has a slightly syrupy quality and a sweetness that draw in a consumer, before suddenly smacking you with the reminder that Yes, I am a potent beverage! This seems a good parallel for the lure of the sea to every true sailor: with beauty and the promise of adventure, it stirs longing--and then with that first storm, it reminds you never to take it lightly! It's a lesson Lucky Jack Aubrey and the perpetually curious Maturin learn again and again.

 




                   



                 



   Then there's me, and frankly I have a lot of favorite books, an a lot of favorite characters. But the one that came to mind today was Daisy Fay Harper, the irresistible heroine from Fanny Flagg's "Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man." Fanny Flagg is best known for "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Café," but honestly I think "Daisy Fay" is her best work by far. Following a charismatic, resilient, spirited girl as she grows older, it uses peerless humor to explore some of life's hardest challenges--especially the bizarre, unexpected kind. I don't know if I've ever read a book with a character as real as Daisy Fay. And my drink pairing for her would be a glass of tart iced lemonade, spiked with a generous shot of OYO Honey Vanilla Bean Vodka. Like the lemonade, Daisy's vivacity and genuineness is both sharp and refreshing. Add the astonishingly smooth and lightly sweetened vodka, and you also capture her saucy, quick wit, and the warmth she inevitably sparks in your heart.






                     







   And yes, I would *love* to hear some of your favorite books/characters, and the drinks you think best represent them!

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.