The Running List

      One of the things I do as a writer is I keep a running list of ideas. Actually, it would be more accurate to say I keep several running lists of ideas: one is plots, one is places, one is snappy bits of dialogue (I am not making this up, when I participate in or happen to over-hear wonderful pieces of conversation, I do my best to remember them word for word until I can write them down). I keep a list of places I want to go visit for inspiration, and I recently joined Pintrest so I can keep a list of recipes that relate to my characters and their unfolding tales. But perhaps one of my favorite lists to revisit is my list of names.

      When writing fiction, names can be a challenge. They have to feel right, to sound right, to impart something intangible just by being seen on a page. Many, many authors have employed this tactic over the centuries. The connections could be very obvious: with a first name "Huckleberry" the character is bound to be wild but essentially sweet, and with a last name like "Loman" he's bound to be burnt out and downtrodden. Other times the implications are more subtle, and sometimes not everyone might interpret them the same. For example, I think names that begin with a vowel imply a certain level of vulnerability--which then invites courage. But I have other friends that think names beginning with vowels sound sophisticated, or even regal. So, really, it's all a matter of opinion.
      When I'm writing and I find myself in The Zone, it's easy for me to get tripped up trying to find the right name for a character, a town, a restaurant, a band--even a pet! I become distracted, and the more I try to find the perfect fit, the further from The Zone I become. My answer? I keep that running list. Now when I get stuck I flip open that Word document and more often than not, I spot something that will at least work temporarily. Besides which, it's just a fun list to maintain. The other day I was hanging out with some friends and they suggested a great name for a cat would be "Waffles." Now it's on my list. Then I happened to be musing about this while my husband was talking about Austin, TX being "the live music capitol of the world," and suddenly my brain went, "Hey, The Waffles That Ate Manhattan would be a great band name!" So boom: two new names went on the list. 
      And now I really, really want waffles.

      If you've got good names - for anything! - shoot them my way, I'll let you know if they make the list.

3 comments:

  1. Ha HA--good to see I've inspired greatness. My brother and I want to name a band T-Rex Jazz Hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best thing about that band would be the T-shirts! Seriously, they could play ANY kind of music, and I would want to wear their T-shirt.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.