Query Consternation

      The agent query process continues. And continues. And continues. Find the agent, research the agent, research their successes, research their interests, read their blog, read their tweets, and try to read some books they've represented. If all this wasn't recommended by highly regarded professionals, I would feel like a stalker.
      It's very possible I may be making this more difficult than it strictly needs to be, but I know how high my anxiety will be as I await responses to my query letters, and I don't want to be kicking myself for not going over every query letter with a fine-tooth comb. My best efforts are still going to be a tad raw--that's inevitable with any new writing format. Give me ten years of writing query letters and I'll be able to toss them off like Shakespeare penning limericks. (Ok, maybe not with that level of ease, but certainly more comfortably than my present nail-biting state.) But I want to spare myself the forehead-smacking hindsight that follows shoddy preparation.
     At least I know that my queries will be far from the worst that any agent receives this year--or possibly this month! I've heard stories of agents and editors receiving manuscripts with cash taped inside, toys attached, 8 x 11 glossy photos of the writer included (are we trying to get published or cast in a Broadway musical?), and even one I'll never forget where some creative individual fastened a disposable diaper around the manuscript and included a note reading, "Please take care of my baby."
      The editor who received that last one didn't even bother to look at the title before ditching the thing straight into the trash.
     Still, in my perfect world, a query letter like this would land me the best agent ever:

Dear So-and-So,

      How's it hanging? You don't know me, and I don't know you, but you represent great novels and I wrote one. It's a match made in heaven. Here's the manuscript; I recommend reading that with some slices of plum, a wedge of Humboldt Fog, fresh baguette and a glass of Willamette Valley pinot noir. Chilled, of course.

Looking forward to your call,

Z.D.

     Ah, if only....
     As it is, I should probably have all 45 of my agent queries out by the end of the week. I plan on celebrating with a visit to my favorite patisserie. I am also starting to suspect I may have been one of Pavlov's dogs in a previous life.

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.