The Humble Hazelnut

      Because I love food, and frankly enjoy any excuse to celebrate just about anything positive, I get a big kick out of food holidays.  This is why in the past few weeks, I've informed readers about National Cherry Pie Day (February 20th), National Sticky Bun Day (February 21st), and National Surf n' Turf Day (February 29th--only happens once every four years, so you know it's important).

The years may change, but food is always delicious!

      Coming up in March I intend to celebrate a lot of things: St. Patrick's Day I'll do corned beef and potato hash; Spring Equinox I'll cook something with saffron and either leeks or asparagus (probably this); and Easter I'll bake a lemon dessert of some kind, per family tradition.  Also in the third month of the year I will observe National "Eat Your Noodles" Day (March 11th), National Oatmeal Cookie Day (March 19th), National Water Day (March 22nd--and if you live in Flint, Michigan, you know just how important this holiday is), and probably National Clam Day on March 31st.  Alas, I missed National Poundcake Day on March 4th, but I'll make up for it later.
      But now you have a chance to influence history.  You have a chance to add your voice - and your vote - to the culinary calendar of celebrations.  There is currently a petition before the White House to make March National Hazelnut Appreciation Month!  To make this happen, we need people to sign the petition.  Specifically, we need over 900,000 people to sign this petition.  You can be one of them.
      No gimmicks, no sales, no spam.  Just add your name.  Why hazelnuts?  Nutella, for one thing. Hazelnut Brown Ale for another.  Or a lovely gluten-free flour.  And how about as a source of vitamins, protein, and deliciousness in general?
Also known as filberts.  But that just sounds silly.

      Let's face it: this is the most divisive election year in U.S. living history.  But certainly we can all rally around the delicious hazelnut for, dare I say it, an entire month!*  I call on all good citizens to do their duty by one of Oregon state's primary crops, and add a little patriotism to your kitchen.






*Unless, of course, you're allergic to tree nuts.  In which case I apologize for my insensitivity.

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.