Breakfast the 19th: Muesli

      It's only been a week, but it feels like a long time since I've posted in my blog.  That's because I didn't post mid-week, and every time I've sat down with my laptop for the last month or so, I've been furiously working on my manuscript.  I have a couple fabulous volunteer beta readers working on the first half, and I NEED to get them the second half!  I hate that this alway takes more time than I expect.  Delays include:
1) Frequently shifting work hours
2) Unreliable transportation issues
3) A cat who literally tries the push the laptop off my lap, because that's HER space!
4) Trying to fit in F@*$!%& workouts

      Actually, I don't mind #3 so much...although it does delay things.  Another thing that takes time is, of course, cooking, but food is my primary form of self-care, both emotionally and physically.  So in that spirit, this week I'm sharing my favorite summer health breakfast: Muesli.



      My first exposure to this cold cereal came just a few months ago, when my brother- and sister-in-law served a nice big bowl of bircher muesli as part of a generous brunch spread.  It was gloopy in appearance, which essentially guarantees I would never have tried it as a child.  But as an adult, I love trying new foods, so I took a helping and piled on the berries.  It was so YUM!  Cool and mildly sweet, the oats had taken on a wonderful chewy texture, and the shredded apple and toasted nuts lent a crisp-and-crunch aspect that balanced out the creaminess.  I was delighted.  My husband - who is "meh" on oatmeal at the best of times - was not as enthusiastic.  But the idea that I could mix this all together the night before and have it ready to start my morning was too tempting to pass up, so I gave it a shot.
      Basic bircher muesli is simple: 2 parts yogurt + 1 part rolled oats + 1 part fresh fruit, add nuts and other fruit to taste.  You can also substitute some yogurt for milk or juice, sweeten with honey, etc.  Traditional Swiss recipes include shredded apple, and usually halved grapes.  It's tasty stuff--but not enough to tempt my significant other.  So I tried a non-traditional version with orange segments, and that didn't go over too well with either of us.  But, "Third time's the charm," I told myself, and decided to do what any reckless chef would do: just pick all my favorite flavors and see what happens.
      Which I did.  And the result?  *Fabulous*  My husband would still prefer a muffin (or cake, or pie, or a doughnut), but he said he would happily eat my muesli in the summer, since the flavors were a hit and the texture was perfectly balanced.  I'll call that a win any day.

Z.D.'s Favorite Flavors Bircher Muesli
serves 2 - double/triple as needed

Start with 1 C whole fat coffee flavored yogurt.*  I went with central Ohio's favorite local creamery on this one, Snowville.  They make a Coffee Cardamom yogurt that's just as thick and fabulous as a real Greek yogurt, and it's neither too sweet nor too sour.  If you have this stuff around, I can't recommend it enough.  If you don't, use some other coffee yogurt, and try mixing in 1/4 tsp ground cardamom or cinnamon, depending on your preferences.

Add in 1/2 C rolled oats.  Feel free to be generous, if you want a thicker muesli.  Also, don't use quick oats--they'll just turn to mush, and they're not as good for you.
Sprinkle in 2 T cacao nibs.  These add crunch, a hint of chocolatey bitterness, and a lot of healthy flavinoids.
Next add 1/4 C shelled, roasted pistachios.  I go ahead and use salted ones because a little bit of salt will help emphasize the sweet.  Pistachios are really good for you, and they have a distinct flavor that goes great with the cacao, coffee, and cardamom.
Finally, add 1/2 Asian Pear, peeled, cored, and finely shredded (about 1/2 C).  I like Asian Pears because they're crisp, juicy, and with a mildly sweet flavor.  In this dish, they add crispness and moisture without butting in flavor-wise.
Shredded or, if your grater is in the dishwasher and you don't want to bother with the food processor, julienned.
Now stir all of this up, slap on a lid or some tight plastic wrap, and stick it in the fridge.  It's not the prettiest of foods without the bright berries, I admit, but on a muggy morning it's a cool, nourishing treat.

      I enjoyed this with an herb-laden scrambled egg, fresh tomato, and a small cup of iced coffee.  It was a high-protein, high-nutrient, high-fiber, and low-sugar breakfast.  So it's no surprise that it kept me happy and satisfied until lunch time.  And that meant I was in a better mood when I worked on my manuscript.  And when my cat pushed the laptop off of my lap...again.



*Some of you may be reading this and thinking, "Whole fat? Coffee flavor?? What's wrong with my zero fat Greek-style blueberry yogurt?"  The answer: low nutrient, high sugar.  Plus the flavors won't work as well with the other ingredients.  But seriously, folks, we're done being afraid of fat, especially at breakfast.  You need a certain amount to feel satiated, otherwise you'll just be hungry again soon, and want to snack.  And high sugar (or worse, artificially sweetened) yogurts just send you into insulin spikes, which ALSO make you hungry again much sooner.  So go with some healthy fat, fiber, and low sugar, and experience how delicious health can be!

3 comments:

  1. I may try muesli. I'm not much for coffee flavor anything except coffee. And I would go with blueberries or raspberries. I did have your delicious granola with yogurt and berries. I guess it is not much different. Just rawer. I'd really like to find a good yogurt. I'm not a Dannon person and I like a tart yogurt. I used to make my own and sweeten it with maple syrup. Perhaps I should just do that. Yes, that is what I should do. Note to self: look for homemade yogurt recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had my muesli this morning. I had blueberries, maple syrup and almonds. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Different texture, isn't it? I kind of like it! Those Swiss have some interesting ideas.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.