Roasted Strawberry Balsamic Sherbet

      I should be working on my manuscript; I have a couple precious hours of no work and no chores, and I really, REALLY should be working on my manuscript--but not before I share this awesome recipe!
      There's been a heat wave in Central Ohio for the last week, and Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream - the best thing to come out of Ohio since nominating Lincoln to run for president - has been closed. There was a listeria thing. Nobody got sick. But all the ice cream was dumped. And there has been many a tear of anguish.
       It left me with no choice but to make some of my own. My mother-in-law visits tomorrow, so I wanted it to be something extra delicious for her. So I made this...and it's everything you could ever want in a frozen dessert.

Z.D.'s Roasted Strawberry Balsamic Sherbet 

Ingredients:
4 Cups strawberries, green tops trimmed
1 Cup vanilla sugar
2 Tbs quality balsamic vinegar
1 & 1/3 Cup milk (not skim)
1/3 Cup plain Greek yogurt
1/8 tsp kosher salt

Directions:
 - Pre-heat your oven to 400º F. Halve or quarter berries into chunks roughly all the same size, place in a large glass baking dish and toss with the sugar (if the vanilla bean pieces from your vanilla sugar fall in, that's a good thing)! Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Remove from oven, allow to cool to room temperature.

Yeah, I didn't have time to take a lot of pictures. Here are the strawberries, BEFORE I cut them, tossed them with sugar, or roasted them. Y'know, in case you've never seen a strawberry before.
 - Stir the vinegar into the milk, and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Pour milk into a blender, followed by the yogurt and salt. Pour in the strawberries (removing any bits of vanilla bean), then blend on high speed until thoroughly combined. Chill for at least two hours, then give another quick burst of blending.

 - Pour into your ice cream maker, and churn according to the directions. Scrape into a freezable, sealable container, and freeze at least six hours before serving.
Your finished product with have a pale, dusty rose color, and a rich, not-overly sweet strawberry flavor.

      I'ma serve this tomorrow with a bittersweet chocolate brownie and a cup of earl grey tea. That's just how I roll.

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.