And a healthy sense of irony.

      I stand by my rant a few days ago. It was a legitimate expression of reasonable thoughts and feelings. But, I also have enough self-awareness to admit that I typically don't like other people's rants as blog posts. In person, rants can be far more entertaining. And occasionally a truly well-written rant is a glorious thing to read. However, I won't flatter myself that I number among those talented composers of fury given form.
      Rather, in keeping my first footnote, I created a comic expressing my sentiments regarding my reactions when I hear many people say they've "read a statistic." You know the expression: There are lies, damn lies, and then there are statistics? That's because statistics are only as good as the research and math behind them. And even the results of the best research are hard data, which is open to interpretation any damn way you want. When I hear someone who I know to be an intelligent, thoughtful person start a sentence with "I recently read a statistic," I'm genuinely curious and interested in what they have to say. On the other hand, when I hear that same opening from a person I know to be a nincompoop, I brace myself for stupidity. This comic was written in that spirit.
      I made the comic on paper, I don't have a scanner, just cope. And feel free to share it, but copyright is mine, all rights reserved, blah blah blah. Enjoy.









Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.