Research, Research, Food, Research

Today I’m writing a scene that takes place over dinner in a wealthy family home, set in 1860’s New Orleans. This is the kind of research that makes me hungry—my favorite kind!

Since the Edwardian and Victorian eras are really my favorites, I’ve read a lot of books written in the time period. Alas, they tend to be pretty light in describing their meals. There are, of course, notable exceptions (such as the “Anne of Green Gables” series and nearly anything written by Charles Dickens), but often these writers use the food to inject humor or highlight a character quirk, which means they should not always be taken as common culinary habit.

A better resource for me has been museums, especially those in the form of preserved personal residences! Tour guides are a wealth of information, and they typically love to share details they are unable to work into their regular spiels. For example, I recently visited Boston, MA and made a point of touring Gibson House. Our tour guide Jonathan was excellent about pointing out various details around the family china, the layout of the butler’s pantry, and the general atmosphere of the dining room—all wonderful tidbits that help make a scene come alive! But more to our topic, he talked about how a Victorian-era dinner party would typically include no fewer than twelve courses and in Boston they invariably included some form of oysters.

This would also have been true of New Orleans. Alas for me, oysters are probably the one shellfish with which my palate is not on amiable terms. Scallops? A peerless first course option. Mussels? I’ll take extra bread for sopping up every drop of whatever cooking broth you use! Clams? I’ll take ‘em anyway you make ‘em! But oysters…well, I haven’t given up, but let’s just keep it to a wave and a smile for now. I had oysters Rockefeller once that were pretty good, but mostly I remember tasting parsley and Parmesan. (Which is probably why I liked it.) I’ve had oyster stew that I couldn’t finish, sautéed oysters that were so oily I gagged, and the one time I tried raw oysters I needed two glasses of wine for my mouth to recover (and then, since I’m a lightweight, the rest of the meal was a rather boozy blur).

It must come down to texture: I don’t do slimy. Which makes me sad. There are some people who take abject pride in their culinary “aw HELL no’s”*, but I am not one of them. Generally speaking I love to try new things, and if given the opportunity will happily prattle on about the more rare and unusual edibles I have consumed (and oh look! Now I have a blog!). Somewhere in my life, I learned that food tastes good. It might not taste good to me right away, but if I can take my time and be discerning, I can usually determine what stands out about it and find the niche in my own palate to correspond. Which isn’t to say I like everything—I have a vivid memory of receiving a complimentary dessert sample from the chef at a high end boutique restaurant in Portland, OR: curry strawberry gelée. I like curry, and I like strawberries, but after that little experiment I can promise you that in my kitchen ne’er the twain shall meet. Yeeeuck. So the fact that I can’t get past my slimy hang-up grieves me, because it precludes me from enjoying some rather famous flavors.

Also, as in the case of this particular scene I’m writing, it means I am unable to draw from personal experience when describing the food. I should vastly prefer to close my eyes and recall the flavor, aroma and mouth feel of a food myself before having a character take a bite. I know from personal experience how specific dishes can change the mood of a meal almost instantly. But here, my two fictional friends will begin a lengthy dinner by consuming oysters, and they will enjoy every bite, while I – the poor soul who composes it all – am restricted to imagination and second hand information to do them justice. Le sigh.


*Oooo, I like this! I think I’m going to reference it again and again, with the abbreviation CAHN’s: “culinary-aw-HELL-no’s!”

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.