Build a Better Bat

      I went to see "Suicide Squad" about a week ago.  Up until the moment the ticket was in my hot little hand, I was uncertain whether or not I would watch the movie in the theater--or at all, really.  Let's face it: DC hasn't had a great run.  I went to see "Batman vs Superman" in a theater pub hoping that a few shots would render it palata.  They didn't.  And I'm a person who is easily entertained.
      Of all the DC movies PCB*, "Suicide Squad" was by far the best.  But saying that is like comparing and contrasting brands of kitty litter, or containers for holding your compost: you never actually get excited about any of them, you're just happy you found something that does the job and doesn't give off an abominable stink.  Still, I enjoyed the film.  I find my opinion evolving as I reflect on it as time goes by,  circling around three main points.

1) I am utterly content with Jared Leto's portrayal of the Joker.  I thought his performance was solid, appropriate for the film, and unique from the other versions in movies since 1980.  There's no resurrecting the Joker as played by Heath Ledger, and honestly it would be a bad idea to try.  I give full props for vision and follow-through.

Slick, shiny, and severely insane.  I am suitably disturbed.
2) I'm still making up my mind about their portrayal of all the villain protagonists as some variety of contemporary street thugs.  The contemporary part makes sense, but does it smack of ethnic stereotyping?

3) Much to my surprise, I'm also still mulling over how the relationship between the Joker and Harley Quinn was portrayed--something about it really stuck with me.  As far as comic book romances go, these two are pretty famous duo, and the subject of intense discussion.  I don't read the comics, but I know enough to understand I only know the tip of the iceberg.  There're probably multiple doctoral theses written on the subject.
And while one would think that they would be the textbook archetype for a dysfunctional relationship, there are a frightening large number of people who would beg the contrary.  I fear for my generation.
      The movie had several fails in my opinion.  Some editing choices were jarring, some dialogue was pretty weak, and a few characters flat-out unbelievable, even for a comic book villain.  But the biggest problem remains Batman.
      Dear DC Head Honchos: whoever decided you needed a Batman reboot so soon after "Dark Knight Rises" should be fired.  Every chef knows you don't follow your most superb gourmet entrée with a freaking Hostess Twinkie.  People need time to digest, refresh the palate, and grow an appetite for something different.  Duh.
      So after watching "Suicide Squad" my husband and I met up with some friends to address this problem.  After an evening of cocktails and junk food, we reached an important decision:
Oscar Issac should replace Ben Affleck as Batman.
      Playing a good Batman comes down to three important things: being suave as Bruce Wayne, being brooding as Batman**, and having a chin that looks good in the bat suit.  Seriously.  I can't over-state the importance of the chin.
Christian Bale had it all: everyone wanted to date Bruce Wayne, everyone bought into Batman's dark neuroses, and for the love of Arkham, just LOOK AT THAT CHIN!!! 

One would think that Ben Affleck has the chin to pull it off, but he doesn't.  Something about the cowl makes his jaw look chubby.  It drives me nuts.

Suave: check, as proven in Star Wars VII.  Brooding: check, as demonstrated in "Ex Machina."  And chin...my gods, people, just LOOK AT THAT CHIN!!!!
      But alas, I doubt anybody's going to replace Ben Affleck any time soon.  And I doubt that DC is going to stop this line of movies any time soon.  BUT...I learned my lesson with Star Wars Episodes One, Two, and Three: I will no longer be suckered into paying money at a theater for a movie I know is going to suck, just for the sake of a beloved franchise.  So unless "Wonder Woman" gets really great reviews, I've got better junk to fill this head.

*Post-Christian Bale

**Ooo, I should apply my Broodometer to Batman!!!

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.