And the Disney Gender-Swap just Keeps Getting Better

     When Camela and I recorded out Shadows On the Sound's podcast for February 9th, we discussed some heavy topics around gender and writing.  Then we finished the serious topic with this very silly Weekly Geeky Query: If you could see any of Disney's animated fairy tales remade with the genders swapped, which would it be?
      And Holy $#!t, the ensuing conversations have been FASCINATING.  Not to mention, I have been directed to many awesome websites!  Carly pointed me towards some great photos of mermen (every one of these models deserves a free plate of sushi in my opinion).  Camela, on her blog, directed readers to this amazing artist on Deviantart, Sakimichan.  He has a few Disney-inspired pieces, most of which are gender swapped.  This was my favorite:

Cruella as a fur-obsessed male just SCREAMS evil fashion genius in ways the original could only try.  In my perfect universe, this movie was made, and David Bowie played this villain.
      You should definitely go check out his page.  Most of his posted work is inspired by anime and video games, so I essentially had one nerd-gasm after another as I browsed.
      Of better yet, just type in "Disney movie gender swaps" to Google Images and let it all wash over you!  The amount of thought and creativity that has gone into this artwork is fabulous, and it really gets your wheels turning.  Camlea wrote a whole post about the impossibility of some of these fairy tales ever being written if the genders were swapped, due to medieval sexual politics.  I, however, am happy to be more liberal with my interpretation--after all, these are frickin' fairy tales, there's nothing logical or realistic about them!
Brought to you by The D Continuum.  Just let it soak in.
      To me what's more interesting is to consider the Disney story with the personalities and the relationships with nothing different the genders of the characters.  All the characters.  Even the seven dwarves, and the talking mice, and the symphony composing crab.  Some of these stories take on very, VERY weird sexual overtones with just those changes.  My favorite?  "Tangled."  Age-defying wizard kidnaps boy and keeps him in a tall tower, brushing his hair for many years.
      Yeah.
      But perhaps even more fascinating are the stories that don't seem to change much at all.  So I challenge all writers out there - myself included - to run this little experiment in your head with each of your own compositions.  With the genders swapped, does your plot still work?  Do you still like it?  Do you still find the characters believable?  And for each answer, why or why not?  I think this is a great way to stay mindful of stereotypes, social issues, and our own personal growth.
     And this Disney thing?  Best party ice-breaker ever.  You're welcome.

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.