A Writer Knows the End of the Story

      Before we go any further: if Disney was going to re-make one of it's classic fairy-tale animated films with the characters gender swapped, which one would you most want to see???

      Ok, thanks.  I'll explain why I asked at the end of this post.
      Now to business: If you've been an on-going reader of this blog (Hi, Mom!), you may recall that I sent out my second completed manuscript to several literary agents last fall.  I have been tracking the outcomes of this effort on my blog as they slowly unfold.  Yesterday, I received my 27th response (out of 37), and I am taking this as the sign that it's time to call it a wrap.  Here's a summary:
      Out of 37 submissions, I received 24 polite declines.
      I also had 3 agents with enough initial interest to request further materials.
      Ultimately, all three of them turned me down.

It's funny, because it's true.
      Statistically, however, that's a pretty damn good response for an unpublished writer, considering the number of submissions I sent out.  While I certainly would have been ecstatic to go further in the process, I feel content with this outcome, because it means I'm on track with realistic expectations.  It also means I'm doing well with the query process, which is a critical step!  And I still feel solid about my story.  I'll let it rest for a year or so, then give it another read-through to see if I want to tweak anything.  Then I'll give it another go!
But first, I'll sleep on it.
      On a completely different note, this week on Shadows On the Sound Camela and I talked about being women writers trying to create good, strong male heroes.  In other words, how to write Alpha Males and not Alpha Assholes.  Part of that conversation talked about abuse within relationships, and how it builds so slowly and sneakily victims almost never see it coming.  I mentioned an interview on an episode of the amazing radio show, "This American Life" where this experience is explained - simply and eloquently - from a survivor of one such relationship.  I promised I would link to it, and so here it is.  I highly recommend giving it a listen!

      Oh, and the Disney gender-swap is our Weekly Geeky Query, and I am more excited about this question than any we've asked so far!  The more you think about it, the more fascinating each movie becomes!

4 comments:

  1. My vote for the gender swap is sleeping beauty but only if Maleficent could still be a woman. That being said, the little mermaid would be perfect if the mermen looked like this:
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/clairedelouraille/mermen-will-make-you-wet-all-over

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course Maleficent has to stay female, only she can pull off that horn/hat thing. If a male tried to wear that, he would just look like another lame Lucifer-one-off.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.