Breakfast the 15: Cocoa Banana Bread with Crystalized Ginger

      Really fast, before we get to the Munch-tabulousness, I'm happy to announce that Camela and I have decided to increase our podcast frequency to once a week! Basically, we have so much fun finding guests and geeking out, we decided to do it more often. So check out "Shadows on the Sound" on iTunes, or follow the links on my blog, right here.

Now, WE BAKE!

My husband has a new camera, and he took this shot for me. I'm thinking I should have him take all my food photos from now on!
      When it comes to breakfast pastry, one of my favorites to mess around with is banana bread. It's a wonderfully versatile baked good: it can be sweet as cake, or mellow as fruit. You can spike it full of goodies, or just let the bananas shine. It can be light and fluffy, or dense and decadent. And - my favorite part - it freezes like a dream.
      Now that summer is here, I don't like to turn on my oven very much. So when a cool day slips in I try to seize the opportunity to bake a few things for freezing. Then I munch on them until the next break in the heat. Yesterday was one such day, so I went ahead and tried a new variation on banana bread. This recipe was inspired by Molly Wizenberg's Banana Bread with Crystalized Ginger, as printed in her book A Homemade Life. It's an excellent quick bread in and of itself, and I use her recipe as a template for a lot of experimentation. Yesterday I was craving something cocoa-y, so I rummaged through my pantry, and raided by spice stash.
      Note that I said "cocoa-y," and not "chocolatey"--there's a difference. When I want chocolate, I want chocolate, meaning the primary experience for all five senses should be nothing short of chocolate liquor blended with cocoa butter, sugar, dairy, salt, and some traces of support flavors such as vanilla. But when my taste buds are tending towards cocoa, that means I'm looking for that distinct, roasted Theobroma cacao flavor. And I'm happy to say that this recipe delivers. I kept the crystalized ginger because I love the zing, and I added some cocoa nibs for crunch (and a pinch of caffeine--this is breakfast we're talking about). If you prefer something more chocolatey, I recommend replacing one or both with finely chopped chocolate chunks. Or, if you're lazy, purchased morsels. It's your kitchen.

Z.D.'s Cocoa Banana Bread with Crystalized Ginger

Ingredients:
3 oz unsalted butter
1.5 Cups AP flour
1/2 Cup cocoa powder
3/4 Cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp kosher salt, generous
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 Cup crystalized ginger, finely chopped
1/4 Cup cocoa nibs
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
3 over-ripe bananas
2 tsp vanilla extract
Whole milk, as needed.

Directions:
 - Pre-heat your oven to 350º F, and grease two medium-size loaf pans (I like to use clarified butter for greasing, but each to his/her own). While your oven is warming up, cut your butter into 1/2 inch pieces, toss them in a heat-proof container (such as a Pyrex measuring cup) and leave it in your oven. By the time the oven is the correct temp, your butter will be melted!
You can take it out while there's still a few bits of unmelted butter, they'll continue to dissolve in the residual heat.

 - In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, salt, and baking powder until very thoroughly mixed. Stir in the ginger and nibs.
The ginger is chewy, the nibs are crunchy. That's a win-win combo in my book.

 - In a medium bowl, mash together the eggs and bananas. Then beat in the vanilla and butter, until you have a well-mixed concoction.
It's Ok to have some banana chunks, they add nice flavor bursts in the bread, and won't mess up your texture.

 - Pour your wet mixture into the dry ingredients, and stir until thoroughly combined. This is a thick batter, but if it seems TOO stiff (in other words, if it holds it's shape instead of slowly oozing when you stop stirring it), add whole milk by Tablespoons until you reach the desired consistency.
Depending on the size and mushiness of your bananas, the stiffness of your batter will vary. It's not really a problem, but if you want a more consistent result try to aim for the same moisture level in every batch of batter.

 - Scrape the batter into your two loaf pans, and bake for 34 - 38 minutes, or just until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely in the pans on a rack.
A classic snack. I like this with cheesy scrambled eggs and a fruit salad of berries dressed with honey and lemon juice, topped with fresh mint.

      If you're eating right away, slice and enjoy with tea. For extra decadence, spread with Nutella. If you're going to freeze, don't slice it, but wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Then either pop into a zip-top bag and suck all the air out, or wrap in a second layer of aluminum foil. These will keep in the freezer up to three months, just take 'em out and thaw at room temp for a few hours before munching.

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.