A Father's Day Thought

      My breakfast post will be up either late tonight or early Monday morning. It seemed very important to me to put up this thought today, instead.
      People say that Father's Day is a "Hallmark holiday," invented just to sell more cards. I don't care whether that's true or not--human beings seem to need these kinds of calendar reminders to take the time to do and say the things that we really mean. Most of us are fortunate enough to have father's who love and care for us, and I think most of us would also agree that stopping to thank and hug the people we love is one of the most important things in the world.
      Not everyone has a loving, wonderful father, and some who do have lost that man. Today, my thoughts are in Charleston, South Carolina. There were fathers and adult children among those who were killed not even a week ago. I have had loss in my life, and I know the pain of waking up every morning and remembering that recent death. With this holiday so close on the heels of that tragedy, my heart breaks for those who must been feeling that pain so, so keenly. If empathy and wishes and prayers were enough to undo the tragedies of life, I have no doubt that the Emanuel AME victims would all be back with their families today.

Photo Credit: http://ktla.com/2015/06/18/south-carolina-church-shooting-pastor-ex-state-senator-idd-as-one-of-nine-victims/

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.