Breakfast the Fourth: Tropical Coffee Cake

      There's something about the grey and chill of winter that makes me yearn for tropical climates.
      Yeah...me and everyone else who lives north of the 35th parallel.
      So I decided to alleviate a bit of my longing with a proper tropical breakfast. I had coconut water, fresh mango slices, juicy grilled sausages, and spicy eggs. But the crowning glory that really transported me to a beach-side buffet was the coffee cake.
      I based this recipe on one from a very old cookbook I inherited from my grandmother, but I ended up making so many changes (spices, pineapple, ginger, and decreased sugar) that the final product was very, very different from the original. And it tasted really good. So I'm taking full credit! Enjoy, and if you happen to be near a tropical beach when you eat this, say "hi" to the ocean for me!

Z.D.'s Tropical Coffee Cake

Ingredients:
1 Cup white sugar
1/2 Cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 Cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 & 1/2 Cup all-purpose flour
1 & 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 & 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 oz. finely chopped pineapple (canned is OK), drained
1/4 Cup crystalized ginger, finely chopped
1/2 Cup shredded coconut
1/3 Cup chopped raw macadamia nuts (optional)

Directions:
 - Pre-heat your oven to 350º F, and grease a 9 x 9" square baking pan.

 - In an electric mixer, beat together the sugar and oil on high speed for at least three minutes. Add in the eggs one and a time, beating for at least a full minute after each addition, until mixture is thick and lemon-colored. Beat in the sour cream and vanilla.


 - In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cardamom. Stir into the wet mixture until just barely incorporated. Fold in the pineapple.
I wish I'd had the macadamia nuts....
 - Pour the batter into the baking pan. Sprinkle the top evenly with the ginger, coconut and macadamia nuts. Bake for 45-55 minutes, until the coconut is a lovely caramel brown and your kitchen smells like a Hawaiian bakery. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.

 - Allow to cool for at least an hour before cutting into squares and serving.

Of course you can have this with coffee, or for afternoon tea, or you could even drizzle on some caramel sauce, add a dollop of whipped cream, and call it dessert. But I like this kind of not-too-sweet tropical flavor explosion to start my day. I can almost believe I'm in Hawaii...right up until I go outside. :-P

2 comments:

  1. I'm so de-gluten-ing this. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo, I want a copy of your gluten-free adaptation! I bet my aunt would *love* it!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.