Inspiration Cookie

      So how am I doing on my week of intensive novel-writing? Well, have you ever been so head-bashingly frustrated that you get exhausted even though you haven't done all that much? Yeah. I kind of want to flop onto my bed with limbs outstretched and stare at the ceiling for a few hours.
      I am making progress, don't get me wrong. But as I work my way through this middle part of the story, it's becoming clear to me that this story needs to be two, possibly three books. Which is surprising because usually I write stand-alone novels. The only book series longer than a trilogy I have willingly read in the last decade was Harry Potter, otherwise I simply get too frustrated waiting for books to come out, or bored, or start to feel like the author is just milking an old idea instead of doing something new. Yes, I realize there are some excellent longer series out there, and I am probably missing out, but hey: that's what retirement is for. Anyway, the point is the idea that my story might be better served as multiple books is not only a surprise, it's kind of alarming; this means I will have to go back and rework what I already have pretty thoroughly.
      I am coming to terms with the idea that I am nowhere near finishing this thing, even if I get a first draft done by the end of the week. That's what mentally exhausts me.
      So despite my oath to avoid distraction at all costs, I did what any reasonable person who happens to be me would do: I decided to bake.
     My husband has been in want of a hand-held energy-boosting goodie that he can take with him for long days with short lunch breaks. There are plenty of granola bars, energy bars, and raw bars on the market that he likes, but for something so small I find them over-priced. Plus, I really resent the ones that promise to be full of nuts and oats and then turn out to be over 50% puffed rice. I have made granola bars and protein bars from scratch myself, but this time I wanted something a little more comforting, and a little more emotionally energizing: an Inspiration Cookie.
      I've actually been thinking about this for awhile in the vein of a breakfast cookie, but hey, breakfast should be inspiring, right? So I took a recipe that called for lots of dried fruit and replaced it with crystalized ginger (for zing) and chocolate (because according to my husband, the entire point of a cookie is to eat chocolate chips). I also played around with flours, spices and sweeteners more to my liking, and here is the result:



Z.D.'s Inspiration Cookie*

1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1/4 Cup white sugar
1/4 Cup brown sugar
1/4 Cup raw honey
2 teaspoons molasses
3/4 Cup all-purpose flour
3/4 Cup spelt flour
1 teaspoon sea salt (yes, sea salt: it has lotsa minerals)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 Cup cooked quinoa, cooled
1 Cup old fashioned rolled oats
1/2 Cup finely chopped crystalized ginger
1/2 Cup chopped raw almonds
1/2 Cup dark chocolate chunks (eschew wasting money on chocolate chips: chunk your own chocolate & you will save pennies & consume higher quality chocolate into the bargain)

 - Pre-heat oven to 375º F, and line two baking sheets with parchment paper (or, if you've got 'em, silicone baking mats).

 - Using a stand mixer, beat butter, sugars, honey & molasses until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.

 - Add the eggs & extracts to the butter mixture, and beat on high speed until fluffy again, about 2 minutes more. Turn mixer down to medium speed and slowly add in the flour mixture until combined.




 - Stir in remaining ingredients by hand until thoroughly mixed. Spoon onto prepared baking sheets and bake for 15-16 minutes, until just browning on top (if you put multiple baking sheets in at once, swap them halfway through baking and add one minute to total bake time). Allow to cool on pan for at least five minutes, then remove to a cooling rack.
You can make these cookies any size, but I used a 4oz disher to make big blobs, and then sort of patted the dough into a bar-shape for easier eating and adding to the healthy associations.

      These are cakey cookies, which means they're less likely to cover you with crumbs when you munch them. Store in a tin or cookie jar and they will keep for a few days, or you can wrap them individually in plastic wrap and freeze them for up to a month. They're lovely with an iced coffee on a summer morning when it's too hot to cook.
As you can see, these cookies spread, making them less "bar-like" and more "oval-esque," but it still makes for easier eating. Yes, I made these huge--they are tasty and one will satisfy as well as a light meal!


*Also known as "Ginger's We're-Already-Running-Late-You-Can-Eat-Breakfast-In-The-Car Cookie," inspired by one of the characters in Shotgun Shuffle.

1 comment:

  1. I may need to convert these to gluten free. They look delicious and I'm always looking for ways to sneak Lance extra calories.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.