Hike with Wood

      With the snow well and truly in the foothills, my hiking spree comes to an end.  I hiked a total of fourteen different trails this year, totaling approximately 74 miles.  I've got one more lined up.  And if I get any reasonably dry weekends this winter, I'll probably try a few more.
      On my first hike of 2016 I picked up a nice, natural pole of maple off the side of the trail.  It's about four feet long, approximately 1.25 inches in diameter, and still pretty green.  This has served as my walking stick on every hike this year.  I'm pretty happy I've been taking it along.  I get a lot of positive comments, and it's nice to have this practical memento that's been with me literally every step of the way.
      I've seen a fair percentage of people on the trail using artificial hiking sticks, the kind that look like ski poles.  Apparently they're called "trekking poles," and some of them cost over $100 each.

That's a pretty high-tech stick ya got there.
      I don't see the appeal.  Even if someone got me one as a gift, I'm not sure I'd ever use it.  I'm rather fond of nature.  That being said, any hiking stick is better than none.  Here's my rational:

Z.D.'s Top 10 Reasons to use a (wooden) Hiking Stick

#1) They're free.

#2) Good hikes wear out the legs long before they wear out the arms; give your knees a little love and brace your steps with a hiking stick on the way down.

#3) You can pretend you're a wandering wizard!

#4) Use it to fend off over-enthusiastic wildlife, like hungry raccoons and aggressive squirrels.
No, seriously: people feed squirrels, and the squirrels start to expect it from everybody.  If you don't deliver, they WILL attack you!  I've seen this happen!
#5) In the summer months, the first one on the trail for that day WILL encounter numerous spider webs.  Unless you LIKE walking through those, use your hiking stick to take them down as you go!

#6) Perfect for testing the reliability of footing when fording streams or going through rocky patches.

#7) People who didn't bring a hiking stick will have major stick envy.  (I've actually had random people ask me for my hiking stick.  In the middle of the woods.  Surrounded by other sticks.)

#8) Unlike the store-bought ones, the supply, manufacture, and distribution of sticks on the side of the trail have zero carbon footprint!
Made in America!  In fact it's made right here!  Like, actually right here...it just...y'know...grew on this tree.
#9) When you're done with it, you can just throw it on the side of the trail, and you're not littering!

#10) Don't act like #3 doesn't apply to you, because it totally does, nerd.
Everybody wants a wizard staff.  You are no exception.

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.