When the Mood Strikes...!

      So you may be wondering why I haven't updated in awhile.*  The answer is both a good thing, and a bad thing.  And an... amusing ...thing ...I guess.
      Simply put, I've been bit by a writing bug.  I got an idea for a story right after Geek Girl Con, started writing it down, and I'm just still going.  I sit down to my laptop every morning at breakfast (I'm eating oatmeal with bananas as I type this) and I think, "I need to update my blog, and I need to copy over that recipe, and I need to reply to these emails. But...this story isn't going to write itself!!!"  And I open my Word document and it just keeps freakin' flowing.  Each time there's this expectation that I'm going to hit a wall and nothing more will come of it, but that hasn't happened yet.  In fact, I leave each morning for work feeling mildly frustrated because I wanted to keep going.
      Obviously this is good because a) I'm writing, and b) I'm enjoying the hell out of myself.  But this is bad, too, because I'm neglecting other duties.  Case in point: this update isn't going to have any images, because I'm not going to take a moment longer on this than necessary.  I want to get back to my story.
      This happened to me once before, about three years ago, when I was inspired by a Halloween night storm to write a ghost story.  (Actually, there are some similarities in the two tales, now that I think about it: both take place in an old mansion, and both involve some supernatural mystery.  And that's all I'm going to tell you.)  It seems that Fall is just an inspiring time for me.  I feel like my Muse didn't want to wait for NaNoWriMo, and jumped the gun a month early; I checked my document the other day and in three weeks I've already written 20,065 words.
      So the amusing thing?  Part of the reason this is going so well is that I have zero intention of trying to publish this story.  I'm just writing it for me.  And maybe a couple of the right friends.  That's because it's not a good story, it's not a powerful story, and it's not a meaningful story: it's just a downright entertaining story for the right kind of audience.**  And I DO NOT want my first published work(s) to be that kind of fluff.  But at this point in my life, publication is a dream, and writing is - happily - a reward in itself.
        So if you'll excuse me, I'm going to get back to the fun stuff.  Check back next week: once I have sufficiently scratched this itch, I've got a Con summary, some movie reviews, and a fabulous Spanish vegetable soup recipe to share with you.  Happy Halloween!



*Because apparently, you're really, really bored.

**Let your imagination fill in the gaps.  You're probably not that far off base.

1 comment:

Powered by Blogger.