Scary Story

      If you're a long-time reader of this blog, or if you know me personally, you are aware that Halloween is my favorite holiday.  I celebrate all October long!*  It's the epitome of so many of my favorite things: hanging out with friends, playing dress up, eating sweets, and telling scary stories.  That last one in particular is a weird one for me, because I'm also a total wimp who can't watch horror movies.

When I finally own my house, it will be decorated like this for Halloween.  Except cooler, with more spider webs & a fog machine & motion-activated bats.
      When I say I like a scary story, I mean I like a well-told tale that makes my spine go rigid.  I enjoy visions of splendid buildings fallen into decay.  I want the sound of wind moaning louder and louder, until you can no longer lie to yourself that it's just the wind.  I enjoy old tragedies that inspire regret beyond the grave, lingering like mist low to the ground.  I like the mystery of the unseen.
And nothing transports the imagination like a good book.
      My tradition the last few years has been to indulge in both a modern and a classic scary story during the month of October.  This year I was going to read House of Leaves, which has come to me highly recommended.  Based on what I know about it, however, I think it would frankly freak me the fuck out, and I can't read that before bed when I'm sleeping alone.  So it's being postponed one more year.  Instead, this year I plan to indulge in a non-fiction book entitled The Curve of Time.  Although not intended to be a scary story, there are apparently plenty of creepy, otherworldly encounters recorded in it's pages.  And since it a) takes place in my area, and b) is ostensibly a true story...yeah.  I think that might do the trick nicely.
      In terms of the classic, I'm debating between H. G. Wells' The Invisible Man, or the collected works of Edgar Allan Poe.  I've never read Wells.  Although not strictly a horror novel, I think it often gets grouped in the "scary story" genre because of the science-gone-wrong aspect.  Plus it preys on the inherent fear of being forgotten--literally "disappearing from the world."  But then again, Poe is classic, and creepy, and gloriously gothic.  I read his short stories in high school, but I think the language prevented me from absorbing as much as I could.  So is this the time to revisit?
I am so this kid.  Why do I do this to myself?
     I have a week yet to make up my mind.  I'm open to suggestions.  If you have a favorite scary story, I'd love to hear what makes your skin prickle, and leave the light on as you sleep.


*But not BEFORE October.  It drives me nuts that stores start putting out their Halloween merch in August.  I can't get in the creepy gothic mood when I'm still working my tan!

4 comments:

  1. Don't use webs in outside Halloween decor! You can unintentionally trap animals in them (bats, owls, etc.) And House of Leaves is amazing, as I've said before :D I couldn't wait for October to start reading 'scary' books so I will forward on any good ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo, thanks for the tip! I would feel terrible if I caught a real bat or owl. I'll just let the real spiders do their thing.

      Delete
  2. I also love House of Leaves... Didn't find it all that freaky, to tell you the truth, but I haven't the same sensitivity to such things that you do. :)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.