It Was Nicer When the AC Was Working

      I like to take my stroll in the mornings, before the heat and humidity get too absurd. True to form, today after breakfast (eggs scrambled in home-made schmaltz, farmer's market berries, and leftover home-made cheesecake with tea) I wandered down to the grocery store to grab some mushrooms for tonight's pizza. I'm really quite fortunate that I live in a neighborhood that is very safe, and full of houses over a century old; I get to wander down cobblestone alleyways full of personality and history, where a thousand-and-one little untold stories are waiting to be discovered.
      Today I saw...

      ...a bicycle locked to a chain link fence, with both tires and the handlebar covers missing. The remaining skeleton - all rust and faded blue - is nearly invisible under a twining growth of Morning Glory, rich purple and vibrant green.
      ...a pot of basil on the front step of a little white house, so expertly grown I barely recognized the herb: it was tall, and downright bushy! I looked at it and started drooling with the thought of pesto.
      ...two Victorian brick houses next to one another, clearly of the same blueprint, with identical doors and porches and windows. The main differences were the colors of paint adorning the gingerbread trim, and the yards: one boisterous with leafy overgrowth, the other velveted with impeccably groomed lawn. And there was a little brown bunny, small enough to fit in my hand, sitting just on the tidy side of the fence, munching a stray bit of clover. Its fuzzy little munching face invited speculation as to how many relatives it had enjoying their breakfast hidden under the careless canopy provided by the sloppier neighbor. I watched it chew for a few minutes, brown ears twitching, and then it hopped between the wrought iron fence posts and disappeared into the tall weeds.

     Then I got home and discovered my AC is on the fritz AGAIN! Serious mood killer. It took some fiddling, but we got the expletive expletive thing working again. And thank heavens, because I have to crank that oven up to 450º to make pizza tonight.

     This is the last day to vote on pie! Check out my entry from last weekend and weigh in on Plum vs. Caramelized Grape! Your voice matters!

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.